21/03/2017

Top 10 Tuesday

We have FINALLY decided to join a weekly bookish meme...

This weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and because I'm absolutely in love with lists, I thought this 'weekly' would be perfect for our blog. 

Each week, The Broke and the Bookish posts a weekly Top 10 for other bloggers to complete. This week, the theme is.... 'Read In One Sitting'. I'm going be a little more lenient with myself and list books that I've read in a day. Keep in mind that I know everyone reads at different speeds. These are just books that I've personally read in a day and I feel many would enjoy! Even if it does take you a week, or even a month, the experience is still the same! In no particular order...

Ten Books I've Read In a Day


Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Up first is Caraval! I received this book with my January FairyLoot. I fell in love with Caraval when I first saw the cover, and believe me, the contents are just as gorgeous! This book is about a girl who leaves her little island against her will to visit a once-a-year magical performance called Caraval where the audience participate in the show. She gets caught up in the performance to rescue her sister who has been kidnapped, and immerses herself in the world full of heartbreak, love and magic! 'Welcome, welcome to Caraval... beware of getting swept too far away'... And I certainly did, hence why this book was read in a day! 


Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

I did actually read this book in one sitting! Hence why it has a well-deserved place on this list. Even though this book has 310 pages, most have a lot of white space because of the multimodal nature of this book (lots of IM conversations, written letters etc). I believe most people could read this in a day, even if you don't have a lot of time to spare! This book is about a girl who is allergic to the world - she hasn't left her house in 17 years! But everything changes when her new neighbour Olly moves next door and she decides to step outside of her comfort zone. I connected with this book pretty deeply because of my struggles with agoraphobia. A very cute, fast contemporary!


Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

As a gamer and a fan of the 80s - even though I was born in the next century - I absolutely loved this book. I think Ready Player One is pretty niche, in that if you don't like either of those things, you probably won't totally appreciate it because it's chock-full of references. Because I like both of those things, I absolutely FLEW through this book. The references were perfect, the story was fast-paced (features a type of virtual treasure hunt) and it's not too long either. I felt like this was a love letter to gamers. If you love gaming, nerdy references and 80s movies... you'll love this book. 


These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

An awesome story that begins when a HUUUGE luxury spaceliner called Icarus crashes into a nearby planet and two people on opposite ends of the class spectrum are forced to unite and help each other when they land on an eerie, alien planet. As they grow closer, they eventually discover some wicked secrets. This book contains a huge mystery, and throughout you try to piece together fragments of literary clues while shipping the two protagonists, Lilac and Tarver. You can't help but constantly ask yourself: what's going to happen next? Whenever I put the book down, I couldn't bear leaving Lilac and Tarver in the desert until I found out what happened to them, so I finished in a day!


Saga (ALL Volumes) by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples

Ahh, Saga. I wasn't going to include a comic/graphic novel on this list, but I couldn't leave out this one. At 160 pages and (mostly) beautifully illustrated pictures, you could easily devour a few Saga volumes in one day. This graphic novel is about two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war who fall in love. There are so many weird and wonderful characters and breathtaking places to explore. I was never bothered about reading comic books in the past, but I haven't looked back since I read Saga for the first time. 


Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

If you haven't read this masterpiece yet, what's stopping you? At 227 pages, it's certainly short enough to read in a day or two when you have some time to yourself. Plus, this is a mandatory read for all lovers of books. This book is about a fireman (not the firemen we all know and love nowadays, but a burner of forbidden books), who goes on a contemplative journey to discover the truth about why his dystopian society is the way it is. Think 1984 by George Orwell (in my opinion, I prefer this book over Orwell's even though I ADORE 1984), but with a... shall we say... Nazi? twist. This is a classic, and a must-read. Personally, I devoured it all in 4 hours!


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I love Rainbow Rowell so much because she writes contemporaries (always with a twist) so well. Fangirl is Rowell at her best, and is a perfect introduction to her writing if you've heard much about her but haven't quite picked up one of her books, ESPECIALLY if you are, or have been, a Harry Potter fan. I resonated so much with this book because of my HP past, and it was nice to read a book about a fangirl, as a fangirl. Haha. This is why I read Fangirl from 2am to 6pm, THE SAME DAY. It's slightly long, at 445 pages, but since I did finish this book in a day, and because it IS one of my favourite books, it's going on this list! 

The Selection by Kiera Cass

If you're looking to read something a little different, and you're maybe in the mood to swoooon a little, this book is calling your name! The Selection is about a competition in which thirty-five girls get selected to compete for the heart of Prince Maxon and escape their lives. If you've ever watched The Bachelor (I have to admit, I do love trash TV sometimes), then the process will be familiar to you. This book is really enjoyable and totally readable in 1-2 days! Also, look at that cover! It's pretty Cinderellaesque and you'll be bitching in your head at all the nasty characters, so it's a really satisfying read! Click here for a review of The Selection


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By now you've probably watched THG movies or read the books already. Not to worry. Even if you've read the book before, or watched the movie (or both), re-reading this book will probably still be an enjoyable experience for you. There's something about The Hunger Games that keeps many people coming back, and I think that has a lot to do with our world today - TV is getting more and more ridiculous, political correctness and the attempts to stop free speech is getting out of hand, and it is up to us to wear our Mockingjay pin and shout that something is wrong, even when the Capitol mocks us. The fast-paced nature of this book and the familiar story = fast read. 


Harry Potter (Books 1-3) by J. K. Rowling

Of course, I had to include Harry Potter in this list. Books 1-3 were the first books I EVER read in a day. I remember going to the bookshop SUPER EARLY in the morning to pick up the recent copy of HP on its release day. It's only 223 pages too. If you STILL haven't picked up a HP book, or at least watched the movies (and I know there are people out there), now's a better time than any! Even if you feel like you missed the bandwagon years ago, or you've watched the movies and feel you don't need to read the books, I would still definitely read them because you're missing out on such a huge magical adventure. Pick up a copy and I'm sure you'll be flying through it in no time!



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment